so cording

I may have to take a pattern from the last bodice for The Mina and maybe, maybe remove the over bust seam and cut in gores. 

Fortunately there is a fair bit of the rip stop cotton. Oh yes! Actually cutting gores and gussets will work and probably even better with the cording.

Just got a copy of Jill Salen’s Corset book. I need to make it as a separate lining and line the silk in something to just not show the cording. It was always going to have to avoid the boning of course.

Okay actually yes I can use my fabric I just need to decide on unpicking or finding all the vertical lines for the vertical cords and horizontal for horizontal. Okay. This is now a plan with potential!

lightbulb- the mina

Okay so while looking for photos for insurance I found my first photos of my new Mina bodice and had quite a revelation.

So I find it very painful to do fitting for historic gear. It’s physically painful. 

I have helped that a bit with The Mina because I shaped all panels before putting eyelets in the back so I can lace it closed even during fitting.

But I’m having trouble with boning because well it’s also painful to cut. and to handle in general.

And I realised where most of my fitting trouble is which is the bust.

I need to cord the whole thing!

I want a mid-late 1870s shape and to get that cording is often used in the hip and bust gores.

Of course!

SO this is great.

My Marie antoinette stays need a lot of topstitching before I can bone that too and I may even use a bit of cording in that to soften some of the harshness of the metal stays.

I didn’t account for cording in my pattern but I have a good seam allowance at the sides.

The cording is going to help retain the shape I carefully created in fabric as it collapses off the form.