I’ve done this before, so thought I’d capture it for posterity 😉
I printed the concept art at full scale. What is helpful with these is the flat back. SO we can use the profile as the very first piece to cut.
This is then taped perpendicularly to card that will form the back. Once the frame is taped then it’s time to try for shaping the back. This is done by eye which can be a bit off.
To create the sides tape the frame to paper and cut radiating strips out. These offer something for tape to adhere to.
Then these are cut apart and transfered to card for more careful shaping. Keeping the profile shape helps keep this stable as well.
Once taped to the form it is possible to see where shaping needs to happed. As this is a template it’s possible to only alter one side.
Here only the left has been altered.
The top seam also can be adjusted. And the entire pice taken off the form.
I have used a similar method previously for my Ahsara Zavros ensemble:
I used sheer pantihose to smooth the foam. Urethane foam is lovely and squishy but is fragile. The material also allows minimal seepage of latex into the foam to help keep them fairly soft.
Latex shrinks as it cures to the thinner the layer the better.
This is also how I make all my Twi’lek lekku- skinned foam 🙂 It takes patience. latex cures very fast in thin layers.