-1881- christine daae, wishing gown

sm_P1050387 sm_P1050351 sm_P1000254 sm_P1000252


Status: Wearable

Year finished: 2008

To Do: nothing

Updates since last photo: none

Inspiration: Australian and Canadian productions of Phantom of the Opera.

April 2006
A blend of historical and recreation costuming. Historical patterning used for the bodice and fully pleated underskirt and draping used to create the pannier, apron and waterfall drapery on the skirt. The body of the dress is made from printed cotton purchased in Sweden and is decorated with rayon appliques, cotton velveteen and corduroy with satin ribbons, guimp and tufted braid trimmings
23m of pleating made for the edgings on the sleeves and drapery which were also trimmed with 46 metres of ribbon.


I sponged paint on the design after I had cut all the pieces. This saved me from painting fabric I didn’t need to.

sm_DSCN9825 sm_DSCN9766

All the pleated trim was hand made and I used the stripes as aguide for how deep to make my folds. The pleats were all hemmed and edged with two widths of ribbon trim.

sm_DSCN0047 sm_DSCN0046 sm_DSCN0048

sm_DSCN0052 sm_DSCN0054

The skirt was pleated in a similar way. I pleated several widths of the fabric by lining up the narrow gold stripes. The pleats were sewn down at regular intervals and the hem left free to kick out when walking.

sm_DSCN9760 sm_DSCN9885 sm_DSCN9886

sm_DSCN0011 sm_DSCN6021 sm_DSCN6022