Today was spent diving into auction sites. So exciting and exhausting finding better quality images than before. It feels a lot like the work I do to rebuild my site- retreading old ground for not much reward.
But today also a book that has finally cemented how I want to approach my own book:
It’s a merchants hand book. And it just says so much about what was important for a merchant at the time.
Firstly it’s very nice, but also sturdy.
There are tools!!!! In the front a sundial and compass!!!! This together with the lists of locations and dates of large faires really highlights that trade was full of travel! Ditto the pages of coins- for identifying/converting local currency.
And the back! Scales for money.
There are also pages for sketching! With silverpoint.
I mean it’s so wonderful, and absolutely comparable to a modern day netbook or ipad. Or what I used to have at Uni which was like a filofax. Or even a phone case with slots for money, cards, photos and possibly a mini ruler etc.
So I am considering creating a portable sewing/cutting/pattern collecting book. A premade base with elements for individualisation.
I already planned on my plates being able to be individually coloured, but now I can look at making some portable tools to go along with it! And extra pages to record dress and patterns of dress when travelling.
It’s literally the boost needed for the weekend after feeling a little overwhelmed and a bit defeated.
While auction hunting some of those better images have also made it easier to decide on what jewels to make for my Nordrhine gear 🙂 There are at least two variations on what looks like a wheeled mount with a jewel in the middle. And lots of examples of non mounted foliage.
I also made a full list of all the plates I need to do. At 19 so far. Got at least two more bodices to capture and two skirt plates (increasing/decreasing waists and trains) and still a lot of sleeves (so happy with the spiral paned sleeves though 🙂
But I am tired and my hands are starting to hurt.
I do also need to make diagrams and figure drawing to match each. Luckily we have the Lemberg finds and many illustrated examples of a fitted chemise that it will make it easier to do all of this. A shirt tends to hide a lot.
Oh! I also need to get a few shirts transferred to this new format.