Elsa wig redo! Photo heavy!

Not a total redo but as it’ll be a while before I can replace the wig I decided to store it nicely which meant I undid the work of yesterday and got photos of this and redoing it. No photos of it on me as I am still bleary and really not a fan of all the downlighting everywhere atm 😉 However new desk makes for a good light bouncer so hooray for reasonable photos!

ELsa wig as she was after a full day wear including in the car and the wind tunnel!

sm_DSC_2618 sm_DSC_2619 sm_DSC_2620 sm_DSC_2621 sm_DSC_2622

You can see how matted the underside got!

So I started by unravelling the ends and brushing them out as I went. You can see how the two wigs are not perfectly matched at all but by mixing in sections as I went they wre far more subtle. Also very crunchy!  Yay for acrylic wig toning but boo for needing high intensity conditioning to counter it.

sm_DSC_2623 sm_DSC_2624 sm_DSC_2625 sm_DSC_2626 sm_DSC_2627 sm_DSC_2628

Here you can see how the second wig was simply pinned (pinned not hair pinned) in the crown and the main wig styled over it:

sm_DSC_2629 sm_DSC_2630 sm_DSC_2631

The second wig was simply cut in to a D shape and folded in on itself.

sm_DSC_2632 sm_DSC_2633 sm_DSC_2634 sm_DSC_2635

To restyle I sectioned the main wig in to four main sections:

The top where the French Braid started, then the sides which covered the second wig for the French part of the braid 😉 and then the middle bottom section which would fill the tail part of the braid.

sm_DSC_2636 sm_DSC_2637

The side sections where then divided in to five smaller sections for each step of the French Braid (one side only here) and brushed relatively smooth before being twisted:

sm_DSC_2638 sm_DSC_2639

 

I then pinned the second wig in place and started sectioning it to match the first wig.

sm_DSC_2640

I had to let all the sections loose to be able to hand braid these. Luckily the twisting kept the sections fairly free from each other. I did braid the top section simply to manage these pieces while trying to take photos!

sm_DSC_2641

The top section barely starts the braiding before the side and second wig sections start being worked in.

sm_DSC_2642 sm_DSC_2643

Sorry for the sudden jump to a nearly completed braid! These are difficult to hold and gets photos and remember which section is the top most while working with so many different components.

sm_DSC_2644 sm_DSC_2645

Once the side sections were all in I braided the length to keep it manageable while dealing with the last of the tail sections (the middle bottom of each wig). So I divided these remaining sections into three equal parts and then brushed them and then undid the temporary braid and brushed that.

sm_DSC_2647 sm_DSC_2648

Et voila, a restyled Elsa wig to keep nice and tidy until I find a softer option 🙂sm_DSC_2649 sm_DSC_2650

Main wig is “Kim” from Sepia in 613 (pale blonde) and secondary wig is just a standard halloween wig ($NZ5) in a slightly pinker tone. Acrylic paint mixed with methylated spirits for a fast drying dye bath (ie denatured ethanol not actually any methanol at all due to health laws in NZ).

 


Tags: cosplay, elsa, styling, wigs